Bitcoin & ESG (Environmental Social Governance)
Well I've already expanded on climate . For the Social Governance part, Bitcoin is mostly ungovernable but it may govern our monetary system in a fair and incorruptible way. You cant change Bitcoin, Bitcoin changes you. Like the Internet, we didn't really "get" it until it arrived but It's been mostly beneficial to mankind and there's no going back. Bitcoin is the internet of money.
Bitcoin mine heating a green house
Imagine one of these Bitcoin mining units connected to your local swimming pool, subsidising financially, & heating the water, but also load balancing the grid.
10 REASONS BITCOIN IS GREEN
- Much of Bitcoins energy is derived from "sustainable" sources (59%).
- Bitcoin does not invest. Banks have invested huge amounts in Oil & Gas.
- Bitcoin (Money that increases in value) encourages people to save not consume.
- Printed money tends to go to pay for big ticket items such as The Military, Nuclear Power stations, Coal fired Power stations.
- Bitcoin Incentivises renewables. Previously, excess renewable capacity was simply switched off or curtailed, now it can be sold to Bitcoin mining farms.
- Second use of heat from Bitcoin mine space heating.
- Previously vented Methane can power Bitcoin mining, converting it to CO₂ a much less potent green house gas.
- Low/Negative interest rates in paper money encourage spending beyond peoples means I.E. borrowing to buy property as a speculation, which in turn push up property prices beyond the savers ability to pay. Increased property prices encourage more borrowing against property thats risen in value feeding the loop. The result is savers loose out. Thriftiness is discouraged.
- The initial mining "gold rush" may be over. Mining may not be as profitable as simply holding any more. With only approx 2m bitcoins left to mine it may be just as easy to buy.
- As the block reward decreases mining may decrease significantly.
Second use of heat
Heat is a by product of Bitcoin mining. The heat from 1 modern ASIC is typically 1.4 - 3.3kW & can be used to heat homes & businesses. Use Green electricity and you have a Zero emissions heater that makes MONEY ! Electricity is converted too heat, if its £50 heater or £7500 ASIC the result is the same. Currently Bitcoin consumption is capable and in many cases is - heating up to 3 Million homes & businesses
Bitcoin incentivises Green energy !
Giving a very useful outlet for excess wind, solar (see Sunexchange) and hydro power. In the UK and Germany people are actually PAID TO CONSUME excess wind power, imagine getting paid twice to use power!
In the UK Octopus Energy Agile tariff can go to -3p /kWh. The mining equipment does not need to run 24/7 and can be quite happily turned off when little renewable energy is available. Load switching/ balancing is hugely advantageous to renewables.
The Cantillion Effect
The closer you are to the money printing press the richer you are likely to be. Why is it that we can buy beans grown in Africa, picked - put in a plastic package - ship round the world, cheaper than growing in our own gardens in the US/UK ? Or minerals mined cheaper than in our own countries?
The developed world has all the stuff. The undeveloped world has lots of rapidly devaluing paper money. We are resource rich they have little. Not only is it the biggest scam ever invented it has many negative effects-
What would be the Green House Gas reduction in ending the West’s money printing scam?